Monday, May 14, 2007

Chrysanthemums were cultivated in China as a flowering herb as far back as the 15th century BC. An ancient Chinese city was named Ju-Xian, meaning "chrysanthemum city". The flower was introduced into Japan probably in the 8th century AD, and the Emperor adopted the flower as his official seal. There is a "Festival of Happiness" in Japan that celebrates the flower.
The flower was brought to Europe in the
17th century. Linnaeus named it from the Greek prefix chrys-, which means golden (the colour of the original flowers), and -anthemon, meaning flower.

These are such pretty flowers. I think I will try and plant some this year and test out my luck. Once my flower beds start to bloom I will get a picture.I think I have a lilac bush that has seeded from my neighbors. We'll see if I get any blooms on that. I didn't know what it was, so for the past 3 years I have been cutting it down. I think I'll leave it alone this year and wait....

3 comments:

Leish said...

mums are pretty!

Rhea said...

I believe chrysanthemums were the flowers I saw when I was in Japan shopping in a grocery store. They put them on salads.

SnowWhite said...

over here they are the most popular mothers days plant to give, and yeah they are meant to be yummy on a salad. Never know where my cravings may take me this week lol.
xx
shona